Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Miyagi Rollercoaster Ride



I'm sure some people have been wanting to know how my life has been a week after the earthquake. Northern Japan has definitely been portrayed as a wasteland of debris and nuclear emissions, but frankly, life has been a lot less chaotic.

Sure, the ground beneath me has been shaking nonstop and the occasional large aftershocks occur, but I've gotten very used to them. Since getting back home from the weekend at school, life has been on pause. I spent last week helping out at school as much as I could, but was given permission to try and fix up my home for a few days by my principal (since the buses were not yet running). When I was at home, I did my best to simply spend time with my friends here, and to talk to family and friends from back home.

Currently, many businesses are closed due to the earthquake and tsunami. I've stood in many lines, often waiting over an hour to get the smallest of supplies and food to survive. The shinkansen and JR lines are being repaired still, but thankfully most of the city has regained power. I myself am fortunate to have working utilities again, although I'm not sure how long it will last. So I've been conserving as much as I can (esp. with water and gas).

The most difficult part of this past week was definitely hearing the news of so many people leaving Sendai. I knew that a few people had gone home, but I did not expect to see so many leave to go to their home countries (frankly I am also jealous that my friend is in CA, hopefully eating many burritos). I'm so glad I was able to talk to my friends here in Japan for support, and they've been a big part in keeping me strong. I have been firm in my decision to remain in Sendai, and luckily there were ways I was able to cope with the reality.

If you ask me what I did last week, I'd say: made bread out of a rice cooker, huddled under a kotatsu table, watched more movies than I had in years, played video games, ate food, and just enjoyed spending time with my friends. These things are so simple, yet were some of the best times I've had here in Japan.

I am back at work now, and am doing fine. School is slowly returning to normalcy, even though we are still housing refugees in our gym. I spent time with my students this week, and it's still very shocking to me how even when some lost their homes, they're still cheerful and positive. I'm not sure if I could do that. Hopefully I'll have the chance to do some more volunteer work in these coming weeks to help some people rebuild their lives.

All in all... I am good, and things will get better. The Japanese won't let this get to them (I mean, the yen got STRONGER!?) All we need is time and positivity. I'm sure of it.

PS: I haven't been able to get around messaging/e-mailing everyone yet since the earthquake, but I'll get to it as soon as I can. Sorry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment